- Economic and technical evaluation of utility and IWPP projects.
- Project Management including project initiation and feasibility study, planning, permitting, cost estimating, due diligence, FEED, detailed engineering, equipment and construction specifications, tendering, and bid analysis.
- Contract management, tender document preparations, technical specifications, tender evaluation, client and contractor interfacing, contract negotiation.
- Project scheduling, procurement, document control, construction and service contracts negotiation, field construction management.
- Electricity reform and policies, forecasting, deregulation, Public-Private Partnership and IWPP in post-conflict states.
- Design, construction, start-up and operation of renewables, gas and oil-fired boilers, cogeneration, CCGTs, Coal Fired and geothermal powerplants.
- Field engineering for power plant and heavy industrial construction, commissioning, inspection and start-up of CCGTs(SiemensV94.3andV84.2,GEFrame9Fand6F,LN6000, Alstom GT26), thermal power plants, and SW desalination plant.
- Evaluation of power plant performance monitoring systems, energy metering, EMS, FDM and billing systems.
I AM HARRY ISTEPANIAN. INDEPENDENT ENERGY AND WATER CONSULTANT
Freelance Power Engineer
I worked for major international engineering consultancy firms including WSP (Parsons Brinckerh off), AECOM, Power Engineers In cat different capacities. He was also appointed by many international organizations including the World Bank, USAID and USTDA to work on several development projects in Asia and Africa.
I offer independent engineering consultancy and support client initiatives based on my extensive experience in power engineering for major industry sectors especially power generation, transmission and distribution, SW desalination and other industrial processes. The full scope of services includes:
DESIGN & ENGINEERING
I provide services from concept to detailed design and my in-depth understanding of power and water industry enables
STRATEGY & PLANNING
- 3D Modeling
My capabilities in energy strategy and planning span the entire power chain from generation to end-use for assisting utility
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- MEMgt (Engineering Management), University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand (2000)
- MSc (Control and Instrumentation), University of Technology, Baghdad, Iraq(1987)
- BSc (Control and Systems Engineering), University of Technology, Baghdad, Iraq(1983)
- Project Management Professional (PMI ID2830409)
- Chartered Engineer, The United Kingdom (Reg.No.470705)
- Registered Engineer, New Zealand
- Chartered Member, Engineering New Zealand, NZ (CME ng NZ)
- Senior Fellow, Iraq Energy Institute, UK
My views and analysis have appeared in many media outlets including Forbes, AFP, The National, S&P Global Platts, Arab News, Rudaw TV; Arab Digest; the Fuse, AlMonitor, AlJazeera, i-24, CNBC
- Iraq’s electricity problems can be solved by reform in power sector, says expert, Rudow TV (May 2022)
- New Levant, Bazar (2021) [in Farsi]
- Iraq – Iranian gas export issues, Bazaar (2021) [in Farsi].
- Low oil prices point to reform need for Iraqi economy, Hurriyat [in Turkish]
- Unlocking the True Cost of Water, Climate Control Middle East (2020)
- Solar-powered seawater RO desalination gains traction in Middle East, Climate Control Middle East (2020)
- Iraq braces for power outages, MEED, 15 MAY 2020.
- Low oil prices point to reform need for Iraqi economy, Anadolu Agency, 21/04/2020.
- Invited Reviewer, International Energy Agency (IEA) Iraq’s Energy Sector: A roadmap to a brighter future (2019)
- Climate Control Middle East (2019)
- Keeping the Lights on in Baghdad: An Interview with Harry Istepanian. Iraq Business news, Robert Tollast (2014).
- The Atlantic Council, Evaluating Iraq’s new White Paper on economic reform, October 2020,
- Iraq Energy Forum 2019, Baghdad, Iraq.
- Iraq Energy Forum 2018, Baghdad, Iraq (28 – 29 March2018), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id9nukVIm1A
- Iraq Energy Forum 2017, Baghdad, Iraq (2 – 3 April 2017), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-W3C8f-5RU
Operation SaluteRecipient of ‘Operation Salute’ medal from US Department of Defense for services in Iraq, ‘Operation Iraqi Freedom’ (2004).01.
Service CitationRecipient of ‘Service Citation’ from Ambassador L Paul Bremer III in recognition of distinguished service in Iraq (2004).02.
وأشار استبانيان إلى أن تكلفة استخراج برميل النفط في الشرق الأوسط تعد الأقل حول العالم، في الوقت الذي تتراوح كلفة استخراج برميل النفط الواحد في بحر الشمال ما بين 44-50$. مضيفاً بأن تكاليف استخراج النفط الصخري عالية جداً وقد تصل إلى 65$ بالبرميل الواحد، في حين أرجأت التوقعات بأن يكون قطاع النفط
I have been instrumental member of several projects teams around the world for development of large to mid scale power and water projects and have successfully completed projects requiring advanced solutions or high-efficiency equipment. From natural gas and steam to desalination, I am equipped to provide full complement of engineering roles from conception to completion to support all of client’s needs including preliminary conceptual engineering, due diligence, and studies to owner’s engineering, design criteria, technology selection, and detail design, field start-up and commissioning activities.
DAC Consulting ServicesLtd2021 – Present
Independent Energy and Water ConsultantEnergy and Water Consultant leading expert witness investigations in specific disputes on behalf of DAC.
- CEGCO versus Government of Jordan (ICC)
- Hyflux default (Singapore), Kroll Hong Kong
SREO/DAI/USAID -USA, Ministry of Municipalities – Iraq2020 – 2021
Technical Team Leader - Iraq Governance and Performance Accountability Project (IGPA)Lead a team of specialists to implement a USAID-funded Iraq Governance and Performance Accountability (IGPA) project, on improving the performance of Solid Waste Management for six municipalities in Iraq.
Iraq Energy Institute – UK Ministry of Electricity – Iraq2018 – 2019
Senior Adviser of the former Minister of Electricity HE Dr LuayAlKhatteebKey objectives:
- Advising the Minister of Electricity on sector reform, corporatization, and modernization.
- Conducting power system integrity studies focusing on technical and non- technical losses reduction, optimal fleet fuel utilization, T&D grid expansion and tariffcollection.
- Liaising with the World Bank, European Union and the IFC to supportIraq’s proposed National Renewable Energy Program.
- Supporting and reviewing the International Energy Agency reports onIraq’s energy sector.
- Assessing the potential of Public Private Partnerships (PPPs) inreformingState-Owned Enterprises (SOEs) in the power sector and their role in grid rehabilitation and integrity.
- Preparing an analytical data overview of Iraq’s electricity grid losses from generation to final consumption with an emphasis on the establishment of energy savingstandards.
Ministry of Electricity and Water – Kuwait2017 – 2018
IWPP Technical Senior AdviserKey objectives:
- Advice client on matters related to IWPP technical agreements including compliance to Minimum FunctionalSpecifications.
- Act as the focal point for client (MEW) on the provision of advice and guidance about the ECWPA technical issues for the existing and future IWPPprojects
- Advise MEW on the management and control of contractual matters arising under the ECWPA due to plant performance, fuel demand andefficiency.
- Actingasa guide and adviser to and direct the local technical staff.
- Assisting MEW in the receipt, evaluation, adjudication and approval of the monthly invoices and any other invoices submitted by anIWPP
- Assisting in the drafting of feasibility studies, requests for proposals and related schedules required to support the development of further IWPPprojects
- Participate in and lead the technical evaluation of new bids received for the development of future IWPPprojects.
- AzZour North Phase 1 IWPP (1500 MW, 107MIGD)
- AzZour North Phase 2 & 3 IWPP (2,700 MW, 165MIGD)
- Shagaya Renewable Park Phase 3 (1200 MW PV, 200 MW Wind, 200 MWCSP)
Ras Abu Fontas RAF-A2 and RAF-A3 Seawater Desalination Project, QEWC – Qatar2014–2017
Project EngineerAppointed as Project Engineer to provide engineering and technical support to QEWC on all aspects of Ras Abu Fontas (RAF-A2) 36 MIGD MSFE and RAF-A3 SWRO Seawater Desalination Projects for Qatar Electricity and Water Company (one of the largest independent water and power producers in the GCC region).
- Management of the EPC Contract, Water and Power Purchase Agreements and Fuel Gas Supply.
- Technical review of project documentation and issuing design reviewsheets.
- Coordination with stakeholders, including Kahrama’a, QP, local municipalityand Ministry of Environment on technical and commercial issues related to the project.
- Coordination of internal and external engineering activities and the interdisciplinary interfaces in close coordination with QEWC discipline teamleaders.
- Ensuring the technical requirements defined in the EPC contract are properly incorporated into the engineeringdeliverables.
- Manage and facilitate meetings with the client, contractor and third-party stakeholders.
- Coordinate the design review in coordination with Fichtner MainOffice.
- Monitor the execution of the quality assurance program for conformance to projectrequirements.
- Provide the technical support for the contractor and owner on issues related to the interface with the existing RAFPlant.
- Monitoring the plant performance, environmental and water qualitycompliance.
- Analyse billing system data and fuel demand model to ensure contract and invoicing are in compliance with WPA guidelines andregulations.
- Identifyanyissues thatmayaffectthebilling anddeterminedthepropercourseofaction.
- Follow up with QEWC and off taker Kahram’a on outstanding issues relatedto the plant efficiency and overall performance.
- Develop procedures for plant O&M, fiscal metering data validation and reconciliation,developingandupdatingwaterandpowerdispatchprocedures.
- Ensure contract compliance by reviewing support documentation and contracts against billingrequests.
- Assist QEWC on evaluation and adjudication of the plant water and power production for issuing capacity charge invoices and output charge Invoices in accordance to WPA and PPA.
- Prepare scope of work and agreements for engagement of third-party experts on technical and commercial disputes arising after the planttake-over.
- Management of Plant warranty after thetake-over.
- How Iraq’s Race for Water Security Impacts Cultural Heritage and Environment, Iraq Energy Institute, May2021
- Despite scorching heat, solar power remains mirage in Iraq, Amwaj Media, March2021. الطاقة(نوفمبر,23)2020,سماحواشنطنللعراقبشراءالغازاإليراني..ورقةسياسية3)
- IRAQ’S BIGGEST POWER THREAT, Iraq Energy Institute, UK,2015.
- Iraq Electricity: A New Paradigm for a way out, Energy Focus, The Energy Industries Council (UK), Issue 24, Spring 2015, pp 113 –115.
- Iraq’s Draft Electricity Law: What’s Right, What’s Wrong?, Petroleum Economist, May 2014, pp 10 – 11: Republished by Brookings Institute.
- Iraq’s Electricity: From Crisis to ISIS, Power Engineering International, September (2014), pp. 32–37.
- Iraq’s economic White Paper misses a key issue for the energy sector, (Op-Ed), The Atlantic Council, October2020.
- Towards Sustainable Energy Efficiency in Iraq, (policy study) Al-Bayan Center for Planning and Studies, August2020. The study is funded by Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, Amman, Jordan. Iraq Solar Energy: From Dawn to Dusk, (policy study) Al-Bayan Center for Planning and Studies, July 2020. The study is funded by Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, Amman, Jordan.
- Residential Electricity Subsidies in Iraq: Exploring Options for Reform, (policy study), Iraq Energy Institute, UK, March 2020. The study is funded by Iraq Energy Institute.
- 2018 Annual Report: Riding the Oil Markets, Iraq’s Economy in Transition, (Economic review paper) Iraq Energy Institute, UK, February2019.
- Iraq’s 2019 Draft Budget Law Analysis, (Economic review paper) Iraq Energy Institute, UK, October2018.
- Solar Energy in Iraq from Outset to Offset, (policy paper) Iraq Energy Institute, UK, October2018.
- Towards Sustainable Water Resources Management in Iraq, (policy review) Iraq Energy Institute (Editor), UK, August2018.
- The Need for Middle East Economic Confederal Union, (policy paper) Iraq Energy Institute, April2018
- Turn A Light on: Electricity Sector Reform in Iraq, Policy Briefing, The Brookings Institution, Brookings Doha Centre, March2015.
- Consumption and Economic Growth in Iraq, Power-Gen Middle East Conference, Abu Dhabi, UAE, October2014.
- Iraq’s Electricity Crisis, The Electricity Journal 27 (2014), pp.51-69
- Electricity Shortage in Iraq: Is the Crisis really over?, Iraq Energy Projects Conference, MEED, 25 – 27 February 2014, Dubai, UAE.
Get in Touch
Talk to us about your next project.